Friday, May 25, 2012

Fiasco, Lupe

I miss the days when Lupe Fiasco just rapped about random stuff that no other rappers were talking about. His subject matter was never too mind-blowing or anything, but his geekiness always found a way of showing up from time to time. Skateboarding, robots, cheeseburgers, comic books, and dead hustlers coming back to life are just some of the subjects of my favourite songs from him, classics in my mind. Now all he can talk about are his anti-establishment views; the government sucks this, freedom of speech that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with him or anything, and he's always sung about this so it's not anything new as far as subject matter goes. Now though, it seems like every track he puts out contains that message. Here's hoping the new album isn't all like 'Around My Way'. I actually like it; I've been playing it a lot the past few days, and he's lyrically sounding very sharp again, but I'm not sure I can sit through a whole double album of him telling us to free our minds and crap. Especially because 4 albums into his career, he still hasn't learned how to write a decent hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment