Friday, May 22, 2009

Living for God PART ONE

About 3 months ago, I was having a discussion with a friend, who asked me what I thought being a christian was all about. My answer, while already very vague, ended with something like "and you give your life to God." My friend then kindly asked me to elaborate.

Yeah, I couldn't.

What DOES it mean? I mean, seriously, I never thought about that. I've been a christian now for about 5 years, and I've heard that phrase a hundred times, but I've never stopped to think what that meant. And I found that when I did stop to think about it, I wish I hadn't. If you're already feeling like that now, maybe you shouldn't read on. Or maybe it's precisely that feeling that means you should.

Take Mother Teresa for example. Is her life a testimony to what REALLY giving our lives to God really means? Like, I'm gonna admit here that I really really hope that I stay in the relatively comfortable living conditions that I'm living in now, for the rest of my life. But that does that mean I'm less of a Christian? Well, most christians at this point would say something along the lines of "No, because whatever God tells you to do, you should do it, whether its going to Africa or going to the neighbors in your street." Which is fine, I agree too. But that still doesn't answer the question of what it means to live for God. Because I'm preparing to bet that (this is an assumption, but I'm quite confident about it) Mother Teresa followed her ridiculously difficult instructions way more than i follow my seemingly lightweight ones.

And so, is the level of whether or not we're living for God counted by the number of times we obey God per total number of opportunies to obey God? Hmmm. More posts to come later.

4 comments:

  1. some food for thought. mind-straining stuff. but also heart-checking stuff ryt. well done ohmz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. deeper questions await hehe.. for your next post, i expect it to be in java syntax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha... i think i know this "friend" right :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay so here's how I see it:
    living for god & being christian means making sacrifices in your life that allows you to overcome your weaknesses & human error to develop into someone who is Christlike in your own way. & how you come to your own terms of sacrifice is between you & god.

    so because Christ's love is patient, kind & unconditional & when we take on that attitude & apply it in our own life it means we have the mindset to lead a life where we can not just "tolerate" people but love them & being more understanding towards life & the people we meet means that we have the space to change the world. - yknow, like a ripple effect.

    also the whole point of being Christlike is acknowledging Gods sacrifice to send his only son to die for us & when we take on Jesus' name & become a Christian we show our gratitude for life & by sacrificing our time, talents & money we give back to God what he has already given us...

    ok long ramble right??
    back to you!

    ReplyDelete