Thursday, April 21, 2011

Soul Soup

There's randomly a Chicken Soup For The Soul book in our car. No idea how it got there or who owns it, but I havn't seen one in ages, so I decided to flick through it and read a few stories. When scrolling through Chicken Soup books, I just skim through looking for stories that fit my reading criteria, which consists of 2 points:

- It can't be longer than 4 pages.
- The title can't be too cheesy.

The second point is important. Something about some of those titles just really puts me off. I just don't ever feel like reading a story called something like really cheesy like "I Called Out Again", or "Passionate Pursuit Of Possibility". I can't quite put my finger on it, but maybe seeing the moral of the story from the outset also makes me less inclined to read those kind of stories.

On the other hand, I'm all about the vague-ish ones that could be about anything, like "My Dad". It's like... ooohhhh... what about your dad? Sure we know it's about the dad, but what does he do? Is he the man? I bet he was the man! Time to sass up this story...

*reads*

Bro, your dad IS the man!

I have found though that my cynical soul is a lot less affected by these touching tales than it was back when I was 15 or so. Back then, every little story made me want to give my kidney away to a sick strange-looking man with a good heart. Or write a sweet quote every day for my neighbors without them knowing it was me. Or do the dishes. Or something.

Not now though.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, i always go for the non-cheesy titles. I only read the novel length ones when I drop the kids off at the pool.

    I think the one we have (4th helping) isn't as awesome as the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard there's one for cats. Like, a whole book of cat stories. What the ass lawl

    ReplyDelete