Thursday, April 28, 2011

Donatello and Raphael

I can't remember how, but while hanging out with Amy a few days ago, the subject of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came up. I was a big fan on the animated TV series while I was growing up, so I wanted to take down memory lane, busting out the TMNT nostalgia sentences, but Amy was quick to tell me that she'd never really gotten into them.

So I began to explain to her what the show was about, and while I was explaining her their personalities, I started wondering which of them I was most like; likewise, I started wondering which of the turtles Amy was most like. This was quite an easy activity seeing as the four turtles were very different, and their personalities were quite distinguished and unsubtle. For example, there was "the leader", the "comic relief", etc.

With little thought process needed, I determined I was most like Donatello. Wikipedia describes him like this:

Donatello (Don or Donny) - The knowledgeable scientist, inventor, engineer, and technological genius, Donatello wears a purple mask in some versions and wields the bō staff. Donatello is perhaps the least violent Turtle, preferring to use his knowledge to solve conflicts.

Well, I'm no technological genius, but the rest fits. Or, as my mate Dan once said, "Bro, by personality, you're the only guy I know that in the world of Avatar would be an Air Bender."

Now the interesting bit is when it comes to classifying which turtle Amy is most similar to. Seeing as she doesn't know what they're like, I decided (much to her amusement) that she was most like Raphael. For those who don't know his personality, here's Wikipedia again to share that maaain knowledge with us:

Raphael (Raph) — The team's bad boy, Raphael wears a red mask and wields a pair of sai. He has an aggressive nature and seldom hesitates to throw the first punch. He is an intense fighter. He would usually speak in a Brooklyn accent. His personality can be alternately fierce and sarcastic, and oftentimes delivers deadpan humor. Still, he is intensely loyal to his brothers and sensei.

I'm not sure if Amy does a good Brooklyn accent, but aside from that, even she smiled sheepishly as I read out the description to her, and she didn't argue; she is Raph.

If it's true that opposites attract, than we are the perfect example. If it's true that opposites are best for each other too, then well, good, because I wouldn't have it any other way. Me and Amy have been through a lot, and a lot of our growing as individuals and as a couple has been born out of the vast differences in our personalities right. It goes deeper than the fact that she watches E! and I'm always watching... well, pretty much anything but that channel.

No, through my relationship with Amy and our love that has come out of it, we have both learned to be more patient, more understanding, more compromising, and less naive. It is an ongoing process of trimming the fluff to see the true beauty and true ugliness of true love. And most of all, it is a mission to get her to watch all the movies that I love. But for me and my sai-wielding Raphael of a girlfriend, it has been an intro worth having. Why do I call our first 2 years together an intro?

Because it is.

3 comments:

  1. "I'm not sure if Amy does a good Brooklyn accent"

    You sure? lol

    I think you're right on the money about the comparison. I'm gonna go see which one I'm most like now. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh. We were watching the TMNT movie (i.e. the new one) the other day and me and my brothers were discussing who we were most like. I reckon I'm Leonardo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, a random little fact is that Donatello's colour is always purple, which is Amy's favourite colour lawl. See, that's why she likes me :D

    ReplyDelete