Friday, January 21, 2011

Laters on the menjay TDKR buzz

My worst fears have been confirmed. Well, not really, because my worst fear would probably be a lot worse than what I'm blogging about today.

But one fear has been confirmed, which was the thought that the next villain in the Nolan Batman film would be a female. I've been meaning to blog about this for a few days but I keep getting sidetracked. It has been confirmed that Anne Hathaway will play Catwoman, while Tom Hardy will portray the villain Bane.

Everytime I've said that I don't want a girl villain in movies with male protagonists, people call me a sexist or whatever that long word starting with 'm' is, which for the life of me I can't remember right now. But I have reasons for wanting a guy villain. Well, just one really, but for me it's an important one.

You see, I liked that in Batman Begins, Batman was fighting against a guy who was trying to blow up the city. Bad guy tries to blow up Gotham, good guy tries to stop him. Easy. It's also the same in The Dark Knight; bad guy tries to kill people in Gotham, good guy has to find him and stop him. It's really simple. Sure, there are underlying themes, different context and various subplots, but it was still fun to watch because you just wanted Batman to emerge victorious.

However, the last thing I wanna see is sexual tension between the hero and villain. It never intruiges me, and I always always get annoyed at that line of storytelling. I don't care if it's realistic or not that a guy would like a girl because she's hot; I want Batman to focus on kicking his enemies' asses, not trying to battle confusing emotional feelings he has about them. Seriously. And plus, Batman is never gonna smash a chick villain. Even if they are murderous and evil. He'll probably end up taking her to jail without hurting her. Say what you want, but when I watch superhero flicks, I love me some hero-loses-control-and-whoops-badguys-ass scenes. There goes that.

I've been hoping and hoping that Tom Hardy was going to play a cool villain like The Riddler or Dr. Hugo Strange or something. Not to mention how awesome The Penguin could have been through the eyes of Nolan. But with the reveal that Bane was his character, I was let down. I'm not sure how well a really musclular yet highly intelligent villain will translate on screen. Heck, I'd been keen as for Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow to return and take villainy center stage again over that. And when there were rumours of Hathaway being cast, I'd hoped it was for a Rachel Dawes-type role, not the main villain. None of this is hating on her of course, because she's a decent actress for sure.

Now all there is to do is look at this picture and think about what could have been, considering the choices:



Sigh. I'll probably get over this soon as, and I'm still definately gonna watch it at the cinemas; it's the Nolan-Bale-Caine combo after all, which brought us two great Batman flicks and The Prestige. Still, the waiting buzz has taken a strong hit. I'm definately less excited about it now right. Which is just as well; maybe less hype* and lower expectations is exactly what I need, in the event that Nolan only makes a great film and not an incredible one.

* - I mean less hype personally. In terms of actual media hype, this is definately gonna get a lot of press. They'll be talking on E! about it, between stories about Heidi's face and bringing up Heath Ledger again for no reason other than the fact that he was in the last one and now he's dead. No disrespect (I can't speak for E! of course).

2 comments:

  1. You know what, that is SO true! I've never really thought of it like that. Well, I haven't really thought much about any of the superhero/villainy movies. But yes, having enemies of opposite sex does add to the movie that unnecessary sexual tension. But I guess it's what people want. Well, people who aren't hardout fanatics. Not that you're one. But you know what I mean. Interesting homez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to Batman, I am a semi-hardout kinda-fanatic.

    ReplyDelete