Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Musical venting

Back in the days, I used to know what my music taste was. If anyone asked what kind of music I listened to, I could give a simple answer what would paint the picture of what I liked. For example, I know that I used to like pop punk. Simple. Then I was just into heaps of hip-hop songs (sup James Cook High School). For a while, I was an indie guy (well, not really, but I had my semi-poser phase), where I pretty much only liked artists because no one knew who the ass they were. I had my emo phase too, somewhere in there.

Now though? Now, I don't know. I don't know what "music I'm into". I'm starting to believe that I don't have a certain taste in music. I thought I did. However, it seems these days that there are always different artists who sound very very similar to each other, but I'd like just one artist and completely dislike the others who pretty much sound the same as the one I like. That's why there's no real pattern in the stuff I like.

If you look at my iTunes library for whatever genre I prefer, small patterns start to emerge; for example, there are similarities between Tegan & Sara, White Stripes, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, We Are Scientists, and Franz Ferdinand. So then you could say that I'm into that pop garage rock revival stuff from UK. Right?

But then all of a sudden, you hit the more "slightly eccentric but generally accepted by main stream type of rock": Muse, Radiohead, mewithoutYou, Hard-Fi, Gorillaz, etc.

Further inspection reveals a bit of "hip-hop for the white man": Kanye West, B.o.B, Lupe Fiasco, Beastie Boys, etc.

Understandably, there are the 90's "alternative rock" jams from my childhood: Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox Twenty, 3 Doors Down, Vertical Horizon, etc

Surprisingly to some, there is some "adult top 40" stuff here too: Norah Jones, KT Tunstall, Lifehouse, etc.

Of course, there are just the plain old "these guys are classic, you gotta have them": Michael Jackson, The Beatles, ABBA, U2, Bob Dylan, etc.

And then there's Ke$ha. (Don't judge)

I list all this to point out that even though it seems as though I like all these genres, there are so many artists in these very genres that I don't like. Artists that sound a lot like the ones I've listed, the difference being that I don't actually like them. And I don't know why. I could try and list slightly differences to try and justify myself, but really, there should be no reason why I don't like these other artists.

For example:

- Most people say that because of some of the music that I like, it's strange that I detest Queen. But I do. And apparently I'm not allowed to like Muse unless I like Queen. Pfft.

- Also, I like Usher, but I pretty much dislike anyone else who sounds even remotely like him.

- I love me some generic top 40 rock usually (sup The Fray), but I can't stand Lady Antebellum.

- "Hip-hop that white people like" would seem like my forte but for the fact that I don't get what the big deal is with Kid Cudi. His songs are... boring. To me.

- I rock some classics, but there are other legends that I really can't get into: Elvis, Rolling Stones, and Madonna come to mind.

So, I can't even say "I like everything". Because I clearly don't. I can't say "I like 50% of everything" because, well, that makes no sense at all. I can't say "I'm into anything as long it isn't manufactored and meaningless pop garbage" because, well, I listen to Ke$ha.

I thought that by the time I reached this part of the post that I would have come up with a way to describe my music taste. You know, like how in some situations, writing about something just clears your thoughts and brings clarity. Well, in this case, it didn't happen. I still don't know how to explain it.

Ah well.

....

Bye.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a bit like you. I can't pinpoint my taste. Most of the music I know is pretty famous-really famous. I don't know many 'unknown' bands and singers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was thinking about this the other day for myself. I think I've found my next blog post. Oh and I still can't understand why you don't like Queen (although anyone who says you must like Queen if you like Muse doesn't know what they're talking about).

    ReplyDelete