Friday, December 24, 2010

A quote and some paragraphs

"I remember when I used to be really into nostalgia."

- Demetri Martin

As Christmas draws closer, I have one thing to say to my blog readers: Don't reminisce about the past at the expense of today's joys. It's good to recall fond memories that you obviously won't experience again, but it's unhealthy to think that the future will never eclipse them. I've heard a few people say that they aren't getting "the Christmas buzz" this year, and that if only things were like the way they used to be, then the holiday cheer would be there.

Well, in case you didn't know, I'll tell you something about nostalgia. Nostalgia is based on feelings. Pretty obvious, I know. But still, think about it. You don't pine for the past because you miss the activities or whatever that you used to do. You pine for it because you think that you want to feel the same way that you did back then. The truth is that back then, you just wanted it to feel as you did the previous year. It's a pattern that extends back to primary school, back to the days where what you actually wanted was to get older. Funny isn't it.

This year, celebrate the birth of our Saviour, create new memories, spend quality time with loved ones, and understand that our best days are indeed always ahead of us.

Merry Christmas.

5 comments:

  1. I'm "really into" nostalgia - but for me it's fond memories more than pining for the past. I don't wanna be flat broke with no knowing where the next meal is gonna come. So disagree with the post, except for the last paragraph. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lawl I wouldn't say that's nostalgia, that just sounds like wishing you had more money again, all good. I mean when people are sitting around with good friends talking about the old days when they used to sit around talking with old friends, and how no Christmas will be as good as it was back then right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, I always post and then re-read the original post and kind of think that I lost the meaning along the way...kinda like what has happened to Christmas. My bad :P
    Merry Christmas! Hey, that's how I ended the last post, so I'll change it up a bit. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete