Friday, December 31, 2010

Winner takes it all: Best Song

So, like a lot of my recent posts, this post will just be my version of another blogger's recent post; this time, it will be Amy's blog, and her Best Of 2010 type blog that inspired me. But mine will be more in the standard award show format, with a winner and a few other nominees.

Also, I'll do these posts one by one, so each one will cover only category. Here goes:
__________________________________

Now, my single favourite track of the year. And the winner is:

Your Love Is My Drug by Ke$ha



This song has been described as "predictable", "dull", "pop trash", "top 40", and "commercial" by music critics and fans alike. Which, because music subjective to opinion, is fair enough.

However, I personally would rather use the word "catchy". Like, seriously. I'm pretty sure that that's the only reason I like it. It's infinately sing-a-longable. And, although it's quite easy to diss someone who seems as shallow as Ke$ha does, her rap-song delivery of the verses and the autotune-aided bridge add an endearing type of innocence to the track. Add this to her simple proclamation in the chorus, that "your love is my drug", and it's all kind of cute really.

I havn't listened to a Top 40 song this much without getting sick of it since Umbrella.
__________________________________

Other nominees:

Power by Kanye West - When Akon was the subject of mass negative media attention, he released Sorry, Blame It On Me. When Kanye West was the subject of mass negative media attention, he went into seclusion, then came out with Power. The message from him is simply this: Kanye West runs the world, because he is the greatest person alive. Only an insane person would actually believe this of course. But the day you stop taking him seriously is the day that you can properly appreciate just how damn good this guy is.

The Catalyst by Linkin Park - For my full thoughts on this song and why I like it, click here.

(Still A) Weirdo by KT Tunstall - I've always been a KT Tunstall fan, and this song is definately one of my favourites off the new album. I can fully relate to the feeling of not always feeling like you're part of the crowd right, especially the realization that it'll always be like this and it's a good thing. With the current musical landscape being the way that it is, I'm surprised she was big as she was, but it would seem that things are on a downhill slide as far as popularity goes; which is fine, because her songs are still good.

Between The Lines by Stone Temple Pilots - This song is a reminder of everything mainstream rock today lacks; urgency, imperfections, and blistering solos. Plus it has a classic Scott Weiland hook: "You always were my favorite drug, even when we used to take drugs."

Over by Drake - This guy doesn't have blistering speed when rhyming. He doesn't switch up the flow as creatively as others, and his tendancy to stop every once in a while purely to sneer gets annoying sometimes. But in this song, everything I like about Drake is present, and the few things I don't like about him is either absent or toned-down. The strings in the beat are the perfect foundation for his slow-burn type flow, and his lines range from awesome to so-random-that-it's-awesome. Good hook too.

3 comments:

  1. (Still A) Weirdo is such a garty song! And every song I know from her (which is not many), I like.

    I like your beard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot for STP!! Lali likes to sing along to the hook...without actually pronouncing the words properly though :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. KT Tunstall is the mans aye. So is Stone Temple Pilots. Lyla has good taste already, good to see. :D

    ReplyDelete