Thursday, December 30, 2010

Winner takes it all: Best Album

So, like a lot of my recent posts, this post will just be my version of another blogger's recent post; this time, it will be Amy's blog, and her Best Of 2010 type blog that inspired me. But mine will be more in the standard award show format, with a winner and a few other nominees.

Also, I'll do these posts one by one, so each one will cover only one category. Here goes:
__________________________________

Next up is my favourite album released in 2010. And the winner is:

Plastic Beach by Gorillaz



That's right. Kanye's critically acclaimed release isn't my favourite, although it took me a long time to reach this decision. Song for song, this is my favourite release this year. I love so many of the individual tracks, and I've listened to many of them on repeat, but as an album, it flows and feels complete.

Just when you thought Damon Albarn has run out of ideas and failed to sustain this side-project, the former Blur frontman steps up his game and takes this project to the next level. Gone are the simple pop sensibilities of 19-2000 and Clint Eastwood; this album is everything good about Demon Days, but perfected.

For example, while El MaƱana felt more like an experiment than an actual song, On Melancholy Hill takes the same sound and turns it into pure pop magic. Feel Good Inc was a catchy bassline with some backup music and obligitory vocals to complete the track; Stylo uses a catchy bassline to enhance everything else; the building keys, subtle synth, backing vocals, and rap verses all feel urgent as the bass constantly pushes the song ahead, as if it won't finish until it feels every individual instrument and vocalist has given it their all.

When people talk about how sad it is that Blur aren't getting back together to write an album, all I can think of is that if they ever did, Gorillaz might then cease to exist. Please Blur, don't get back together.
__________________________________

Other nominees:

B.o.B Presents: The Adventures Of Bobby Ray by B.o.B - This guy definately has his critics. Some people say he lacks that edge and level of charisma that current mainstream rappers like Lil' Wayne and Drake just ooze of. Some people say that we don't need another Lupe Fiasco geeky type rapper. Well, those people are missing the point: This guy has really good songs. And he put them all into an album. It's a really good album.

A Thousand Suns by Linkin Park - Okay, so maybe I havn't listened to that many full albums this year, so it's pretty much like I'm listing every album that I didn't hate. But like The Catalyst surprised me in a good way, this album turned out to be quite a good listen. Their previous effort felt confused and much too slow. They knew how they didn't want to sound, but they spent too much energy running away from nu-metal and too little on actually settling on a new sound. With their latest though, they have rediscovered themselves. Both vocalists have a renewed energy, and the songs are legitimately creative.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West - Simply a genius album, and for sure my second favourite of the year. This isn't a bunch of singles all put into one record. It's an album that flows from song to song, one that chronicles all of Yeezy's characters he portrays in public, all weaved together in a blend of arrogance, self-loathing, and stunning production.

...Featuring Norah Jones by Norah Jones - This album shows off Jones' versatility. It spans 17 songs, featuring artists as different as Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, and Foo Fighters, and really demonstrates her love of all genres. There are definately worse ways to spend an hour or two than listening to this tribute to both Norah Jones' musical heroes and favourite peers.

Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter - Only started listening to this one about a week ago, so it might be a bit premature to have it here. However, all the hype I've heard was justified from the first listen, and I'm glad I gave this one a go. I can't really think of a proper way to describe them, so I'll go with "garage synth indie". Yeah, I don't know what that means either.

No comments:

Post a Comment