Thursday, July 1, 2010

Few thoughts 4: music edition

Post-beatup Chris Brown songs are pretty mean. Post-beatup Rihanna songs are pretty sucky. That's just sad.
__________________________________

I can't remember if it was Luke or Kauri that said it, but I will never forget the quote:

"If I ever wanna steal an iPod, I'll steal Jesse's, because it'll hurt him the most."
__________________________________

I am on a really random Alanis Morissette buzz, listening to her songs I used to hardout love. And still do. But it is true what they say about 'Ironic'; most of the things she describes aren't ironic, but merely unfortunate. And it's surprising how much 'Everything' sounds like it's a christian song. That song is almost word-for-word what I've said to God on multiple occasions. Except for, you know, the parts when she says she's a woman. I kinda change that part. So that I'm not saying I'm a woman.
__________________________________

'Yesterday' is hands down my favourite Beatles song. It runs circles round 'Hey Jude', all day long.
__________________________________

Why does everyone hate on Creed??? Sure, Scott Stapp wasn't the most likeable guy in the world, but they did write some really cool songs I reckon. What beginner guitar player doesn't wanna learn how to play the intro to 'One Last Breath'? And what nineties kid didn't sing along to 'Higher' at the top of their lungs at one point in their childhood?

"Can you take me higher
to the place where blind men see."

See? As you read that just now, you sung the chorus in your head and remembered how catchy it is.
__________________________________

I'm still able to rap the first and last verses of the Poke Rap.

5 comments:

  1. LOL chris brown won the ultimate battle, guts "RiRi" can't play victim anymore.

    people hate on creed cos their songs sound largely the same :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. but most arists' songs sound the same as each other i reckon. sure, you couldnt say about The Beatles, or Radiohead.

    but i would argue that Tool songs are more similar to each other than Creed songs. yet Tool are safe from criticism because their instrumental sections are mathematical equations? i call shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say i quite like Creed...where is the love?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creed were cool. I am not ashamed to say I liked them a lot. As long as they don't release another album or do a reunion tour, they are safe in my books.

    'Everything' by Alanis is my song. Don't steal.

    Define 'ironic', then listen to the song again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite definition: 'Both coincidental and contradictory in a humorous or poignant and extremely improbable way'

    There is no way I could say for sure that her examples AREN'T ironic, but they just don't seem ironic enough. They seem more just unfortunate to me.

    "Black fly in your chardonay"
    this would be ironic to me if she was drinking the chardonay at a convention about how black flies help society or something.

    but the verse about the dude who fears flying then dies in the plane crash? that's ironic. one of the more ironic lyrics of the song.

    ReplyDelete