Friday, September 17, 2010

Amazing if you think about it. Think about it.

It seems that every time I read the Bible these days, I find myself criticizing people who have encounters with God. I get frustrated when they don't listen. It's like "Oi, it's GOD speaking to you. How about actually taking advice from the one who, oh, I don't know, created this universe? He might know what He's talking about?"

- _ -

But then I realize that I'm assuming that the mind is always logical. That people always reason. Which of course, it isn't and we don't.

It's actually quite funny how easy it is to completely disregard logic. And by funny, I mean a stupid kind of funny. Which is also a sad kind of funny. A kind of funny that makes me stop and think about changing my life. Okay, maybe funny isn't the right word for this. But you know what I mean.

Take for example phobias. I don't like slugs. I really don't like slugs. But it goes past merely disliking them. It even goes past really really hating them. I'm actually scared of them. I can't pick them up. Or touch them. Or be near enough them that someone could push me over and I'll fall over near it. They scare me. It's a combination of how slimy they are and how they move so slowly, but then suddenly curl up when you touch them. It creeps me out so bad.

But in my mind I know that they can't do me any harm. I could squish it, throw it away, or do whatever to it, and it won't do anything that comes close to physically harming me. Yet this knowledge doesn't help at all. I still absolutely detest the thought of being in the same room as one.

I believe that God is intelligent. I believe that He knows all the possible outcomes to any and all situations. I believe that He knows all of my characteristics, all my flaws, all my fears, my strengths, my weaknesses; everything about me. Yet if He told me right now (and I absolutely knew in my heart that it was He who spoke) to move to a third world country to build a church... well, I wouldn't know what I would do, but something tells me that if I could, I would do all in my power to not go. Even if He said it was where I would be happiest, where I would make the biggest change, where I would impact the most lives for Christ.

Emotion can easily overpower reason. And reason dictates that the creator and ruler of this universe would know more than me. Therefore if said creator and I disagreed on what my ideal future is, chances are, he's the one who is right.

Emotion can easily overpower logic. And logic dictates that our emotions constantly change; therefore if we base our lives on our emotions, our opinions on any issue will fluctuate according to the situations that change and govern our emotions, which would make life just one big rollercoaster ride with no stability or foundation or direction.

Yet, knowing all this, I still have the nagging feeling that I would try and gap.

You'd think that it would be a lot easier than it actually is to obey an infinite being who loves us very much. The truth is, being brought up in this world makes it difficult to see beyond the immediate and obvious consequences of any given action. It's hard to see the big picture, and even harder to follow God when He gives us tasks that will fullfill the big picture. But I suppose if we always saw what was best, we would might not ever need faith, or trust, and therefore we would never truly believe with all our heart that God does love us as much as He does.

As for leaving you with a tip to help you live out this difficult aspect of the Christian walk... well, I'm afraid I have nothing more helpful to say than this: Listen and obey.

And yes, I did steal that line from someone.

6 comments:

  1. Ironically, there might be readers who think that if I followed reason and logic in the first place that I wouldn't even believe in God. Fair point. Email me or talk to me in person about that one, it requires a full conversation about it to make me not look like a lunatic. Or just call me an idiot. Although if you can, please try to avoid the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. idiot... na jokes :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Logic and reason could actually point towards God being the best choice. After all Heaven is the best option for afterlife out there. Athiest=Nothing after you die Christian=Eternal glory, roads are paved with gold.. no room for remorse.. well its heaven, where else would you want to be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. well it definately points towards it being the best choice as far as spiritual insurance is concerned, but im not sure atheists would be exactly content with that being the reason to devote your life to such a path. i wouldnt either, i dont lawl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally at that crossroads point right now where I'm being told what to do and I'm like whaaaa...maaayyybbbeeee. but for some reason living day to day meticulously is harder than being told to jump on a plane and build a church in a 3rd world country. then again I can argue I posses just enough crazy to do that without a reason. the plane thing that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "whaaaa...maaayyybbbeeee"

    classic human response. been there. what can i say but to trust in God that He is faithful to us and loves us? the end always more than justifies the pain it takes to get there. after it all, in one hand you will hold God-given victory, and in other hand you will have a testimony to inspire others.

    ReplyDelete