Friday, September 24, 2010

Dun dun duuunn

You think it's in the past but it's really set in the future!

They are actually brothers!

It was all just a dream!

The main character is crazy and she killed everyone!

Apes rule the world and you've just wasted 2 hours of your life watching this crap movie!

......

Sometimes twist endings annoy me. Because I've invested a lot into a particular character only to find out that they are actually the bad guy. Come on man. But other times, they make me jump and go "Ohhh!!" In a good way.

What follows is a (really short) list of my favourite twist endings to movies. The ones that really caught me off guard. The ones that made me want to watch the film again, just so that I could see everything again from a new perspective. The ones that make me happy that I was duped.

And even though it's common sense, I'll still put one up:


SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT


Let's do this.
__________________________________

Fight Club



First off, I was already enjoying the movie very much even before the twist. Then you find that our narrator is actually Tyler Durden? That's just straight crazy. It turns out that Brad Pitt's character is just a projection of how Edward Norton's character wants himself to be; an alter-ego that is more mean, aggresive, and charismatic.

So those fights they had against each other was just one man flailing around on the ground hitting himself? Awesome. Not to mention there is a girl who dates him, but he thinks that she is dating his friend- who is really him.

Following the revelation is the crazy part: Our main character must now battle against his men who are following his own orders.
__________________________________

The Prestige

This movie actually set up the twist the whole time. Unlike Fight Club, the audience knew that there was a secret and we were just waiting to hear it. Well, we did at the end.



In the film about magicians, Christian Bale's character Borden had an amazing trick that saw him disappear before re-appearing somewhere else, which would require the simple use of a double... except that the double looked exactly like him. That would be because Borden actually had an identical twin in secret, constantly dressed up as his bearded assistant. Both twins lived the same life, switching back and forth between being Borden and being the assistant. It was all worth it to them, because it meant they had the best magic trick.

A great scene that drives the point home is when one of the twins loses one of their fingers in an incident. So to keep up their secret, the other twin voluntarily cuts his matching finger off. That's just fanatic.
__________________________________

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back



I am your father.

Nuff said.
__________________________________

If you thought I missed any that deserve to be mentioned, hit me up in the comments, or else just "like" if you like it, and move on with your lives. Peace.

7 comments:

  1. Man Fight Club - meeean unexpected storyline. I thought it'd be stupid movie where men just have a brawl cos they're bored.

    "Two Men to a fight"
    *snicker*

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. two men to a fight :D

    arent you glad i made you watch that with me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. totes magotes! I think I watch that movie like how I can read Harry Potter books. I can start from anywhere and still enoy it... AS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memento... mean movie, good twist. And I liked Shutter Island. but yeah fight club def an all time fave

    ReplyDelete
  5. best fight club scene is watching him beat himself via security cameras

    ReplyDelete
  6. @talia - the only nolan movie i havnt seen yet is Memento. rented it out once and still didnt watch it, grrr.

    @cheryl - yeah, i wish it showed through the cameras how he dragged himself though!

    ReplyDelete