Monday, September 20, 2010

Quid Pro Quo

When I was little, my least favourite Lion King song was Scar's 'Be Prepared'. Back then, it was boring to me, with non-sensical lyrics sung by my least favourite characters. Now that I'm older and I actually get how sarcastic and funny Scar's lyrics are, it's my favourite by far. Plus, Jeremy Irons has an awesome bad guy voice. My favourite lyrics in the song are:

"Of course, quid pro quo, you're expected
To take certain duties *slits throat* on board"

But this confuses me. As I understand it, the lions must surely speak the language of lion. Lions roar and grunt and whatnot. But for the sake of the human audience watching the film, their dialogue was translated into English. Which is fair enough, or else we wouldn't be able to understand the movie at all.

But then Scar speaks Latin in one line. He says "Quid pro quo." Which isn't English. So there's the English lion language... and then there's Latin lion? Which leads me to the conclusion that there must be other languages of lion for the lions that live in other places. For example, the lions in Asia must speak an Asian version of lion. So where did Scar learn Latin? And anyway, if lions have different languages that divide cultures and ethnicities, wouldn't that mean that the lions in 'Lion King' should be speaking African?

O_o

What the ass Jesse. Sorry for that random rant. I'm so tired. When I started this blog post, it was meant to be about how much I wish animated films were 2D again. I really veered off topic off there. Mabye another time aye.

5 comments:

  1. My theory: Scar knows lion Latin cos he's the more educated of the two brothers. He was the youngest and kinda wierd and not at all like the other lions in the royal family/pride. So his parents (the then king and queen) sent him away to lion-Oxford to read Latin and English lit which is also why he has an English accent while everyone else has an American one. Except Zazu who of course is actually English red-billed hornbill (his family migrated there years ago when it was fashionable for the London elite to have aviaries).

    Gogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering that the movie involves, among other things, a baboon shaman who sees the future, a lion spirit who appears in the sky, and a cross-dressing meerkat a lion speaking latin and english doesn't seem like much of a stretch :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. as logical as your comment is joel, i just found it easier to except all those things. kind of like how i accepted in Lost that the island just happened to have magical properties. when it comes to character traits though, THOSE i demand explanations for. but its just me being ocd haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and gogs... your theory is so probably true.

    ReplyDelete