Saturday, October 9, 2010

Few thoughts 10

Springboks were crap in the Tri Nations. Roosters got wasted in the NRL final. And now Manchester United is 3rd in the League, and behind Manchester City at that.

What happened to my teams this year man.
__________________________________

People who compare Radiohead to Coldplay don't know what they are talking about. The singers from each band both sing in falsetto sometimes... and that's about where the comparisons end. Their actual songs barely sound alike, if at all. And anyone who thinks otherwise either just does not know enough about music, or they have only heard 'Creep' and 'Yellow'.
__________________________________

"Always in detention for the lack of my attention
You could call it deficit, really I just didn't listen"

-Kids (feat. Janelle Monae) - B.O.B

Such a mean song. These guys are what you call true artists.
__________________________________

I missing having an iPod so bad. Walks, bus rides, train rides; they just aren't the same anymore. Those out there blessed with portable music players: Don't take it for granted. Such an awesome invention. Especially when it's got craploads of storage. Storage > Touchness.
__________________________________

I finally watched Watchmen. Having not read the novel, I can't draw comparisons between the two mediums, but from where I was sitting, it was a very entertaining film. I didn't expect popcorn blockbuster comic book stuff, but I didn't know exactly what to expect either. What I got was a visually stunning film of melodramatic proportions, with dark themes and even darker characters. If I know one thing for sure, it's that it ain't for kids.

The best part of the film I guess is that while there is a plot, characters, and conflict, there is no "moral of the story". Some characters do this, other characters do that. You agree with who you agree with, and disagree with the others. There is no one central protagonist, only different characters with different perspectives of this world, making this an intruiging watch. Unusual for such a big budget Hollywood picture don't you think.

Oh, and the intro sequence with Bob Dylan being played in the background is pretty kickass.

4 comments:

  1. It always annoys the hell out of me with the Radiohead/Coldplay comparison. Coldplay have some good songs but hardly the genius of Fake Plastic Trees, how do you make a simple melody so hauntingly ironic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, i like your blog back. and radiohead vs. coldplay? whaaaat....not the same. agree. will go tell me ipod i appreciate him now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, as much as I like Coldplay, they can't hold a candle to Radiohead in terms of innovative music. I don't think Chris Martin could ever have written 'Idioteque' or 'Paranoid Android'.

    ReplyDelete