Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Return of Bubble Boy

For months and months, I didn't top up my phone. Believe it or not, I didn't have credit for about 100 days. For various reasons, I just never got around to topping up. I was known as 'The Man With No Credit'. Actually, no, I was still known as Jesse.

But I did have an inside joke running with some mates that I lived in my own bubble; because there was a period of time that I also didn't have internet, I couldn't email or txt anyone, and therefore they said that I was in a bubble that no information could pass through, and therefore no one ever heard from me.

And after a while, I found myself not even wanting to top up. So, for a very long time, I was the guy that didn't reply. Ever. To anything. I mean, hey, it was good for me right. When I got txts from people I didn't want to reply to, I could actually say, "Sorry bro, got no credit."

Then, yesterday... the unthinkable happened. I actually did top up. Finally. So here I am. I got me txt2000 and bestmate1000 with Amy (so that my txt2000 doesn't run out in one day). And I've found that...well, I've found that I don't feel any different at all. The only people I ever really need to txt anyway are the following:

Amy (girlfriend)
Tim (youth music leader)
Mum (mum)

When I had no credit though, I still managed to contact these people every time I needed to, so it wasn't really like I missed it. You know when your parents or other old people say stuff like, "People have lived for thousands of years without needing cellphones, so why do you feel like you need to constantly use yours?" Well, yeah, I now know what they mean. I'm that guy. I'm a kid from the days of yore. I only really talk to the people that I see in person, unless I call their landline or email them.

It's a strange life not txting anyone ever, but considering that this time last year I was finishing my 2000 txts every month sending pointless txts about nothing, I'd say it's a good change.

But I'm not saying that I'll snob everyone now or anything. Not at all. All I'm saying is that I've come to appreciate the value of calling someone to converse with them because I either need to or I just miss them. And if nothing else was gained from the whole experience, I got to rock the hour-long phone calls with my girlfriend, which I've found is a lot more enjoyable than txting for ages while doing other things and constantly being confused at her replies because I'd actually forgotten what I'd just txted.

If you still wanna talk to me (course you do, I'm a nice person with lots of compliments and one-liners), I'm still here peeps. Drop me a txt, and I'll reply. I am officially a functioning member of society again.

5 comments:

  1. I bet Amy is REALLY happy with this? Boyfriends that text back are always good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always weird - this random generation I am in - I can easily recall when texting/cell phones weren't a part of my daily existence but it is vital now to have this connection - so am always torn between simplicity that I know is a good thing and being overly connected to keep up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know, i cant actually remember a time when not everyone had cellphones. well, i do, but that was in samoa so it doesnt count :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If you still wanna talk to me (course you do, I'm a nice person with lots of compliments and one-liners), I'm still here peeps. Drop me a txt, and I'll reply. I am officially a functioning member of society again."

    he texted some one on telecom

    he means serious business people

    ReplyDelete
  5. txting is over rated. and i think guys that dont txt back are still good cause u dont waste time communicating day to day stuff that you can talk about face to face,

    ReplyDelete