Thursday, October 21, 2010

The ultimate challenge

This Sunday morning just past, I was on Children's Church (Sunday School) as a leader, and we had heaps of fun like we always do, and also still growing in patience like I always do when I'm on Children's Church (if you've ever taken care of a bunch of intermediate boys for a few hours, you'll know what I mean).

But this Sunday was especially challenging, because of my monumental mistake the night before: I didn't get any sleep. I stayed up all Saturday night, then went to church in the morning to take care of the restless young children. Big mistake. And it's not like I meant to do it. I just randomly woke up about an hour after I'd fallen asleep, and I could NOT get back to sleep. There's only so much tossing and turning in bed one could do before conceding defeat and watching Lord of the Rings. As soon as I made the decision that it would be too late to go sleep without sleeping in, I got tired.

Go figure.

Well, needless to say, I was a little more prone to reacting snappily (snappily?) at them, but thanks be to God because he filled me with his patience and somehow kept me not only awake, but very active during the games with them. It was fun! On a sidenote, I'm sure some parents jack these kids up on sugar before sending them upstairs to us, just to mess with the leaders and have a laugh.

And then I went home and just slept. And slept. Woke up at 10pm. My sleeping pattern is still screwed from that by the way.

Isaiah 40:31 - "But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

I understand that verse just a LITTLE bit more now.

2 comments:

  1. shot Jesse. Sleep deprived leading is de be-yest. (say it like nacho) yeah i fill sam up with m&m's at around 9:15am and watch him wind up till 10am, bahahaha, yeah right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i KNEW you guys actually did that

    ReplyDelete