Monday, October 25, 2010

Mythbusters: The Sophomore Slump

I think the 'sophomore slump' might be a myth. At least, it is when it comes to my favourite artists. I blogged a few weeks back about how some film sequels are better than the first film of their franchises, and I think it applies to a lot of the music I listen to.

Here is a list of second albums that are, in my opinion, much better than their resepective artists' debut efforts:

OK Computer - Radiohead
A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Coldplay
Origin Of Symmetry - Muse
The Cool - Lupe Fiasco (only better than his debut by a hair)
Nevermind - Nirvana
Late Registration - Kanye West
Albertine - Brooke Fraser
The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek - Relient K
Toxicity - System Of A Down
(What's The Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis
Sam's Town - The Killers

Although on the flip side, there are still a few artists I love whose debut albums in my opinion have yet to be eclipsed: Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, and Norah Jones come to mind.

5 comments:

  1. that Oasis album...is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna be a pain & contest a part of this. OK Computer was the 3rd album. The bends was their 2nd & was definitely amazing, it's when they started to find their 'official sound'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i only noticed that after i wrote it, must be ultra obsessed with that album. in any case, The Bends kicks Pablo Honey's ass ten times over, any day.

    and yup, whats the story is oasis at its peak for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Parachutes' > 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. not to me. rush of blood as an album flows perfectly, while also featuring some of my favourite songs of theirs: 'the scientist', 'in my place', 'green eyes', etc

    ReplyDelete