Monday, November 8, 2010

Just a rant about rugby

For those of you who don't know, here's a fact about me that a few people don't like:

I don't like the All Blacks.

I've never really known exactly why. I mean, I know why I don't support them, but it's more than just "not going for them". I actively dislike them. It's an emotional thing that I can't tie logic to. Some people reckon it's because they are the "best team in the world", and it's easy to root for the underdog and just dislike the team on top.

But I don't think so.

My favourite football team is Manchester United. Sure, they aren't on top of the Barclay's ladder this year (yet), but over the past 10 years, they have been one of, if not the best, clubs in the premiere league. Also, my favourite NRL teams are Storm and Roosters: Storm are known as being one of the best clubs in recent years too. Roosters of course went all the way to the final this year. So my anti All Blacksness can't be attributed to them being the "best team", because I pretty much happen to go for the best team in other sports.

I do have a hunch though

I think it's because I just dislike All Blacks fans. Or to be more precise, I hate how All Blacks fans act when supporting All Blacks. You see, All Blacks fans are different from other fans. It's not that they are more fanatic, or more passionate, no. I think the main reason that I dislike the AB's is because so many of their fans are such... what's the word for it...

Dicks.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

You see, to an All Black fan, if the All Blacks win a test match, it's just them being themselves. It's a normal result, after a normal day at work. But if they lose, it's not because the other team is better, no.

No no no no.

It's because the almighty All Blacks just had a bad day at work. If only they had played like they USUALLY do. Then they would have won. The other team at their absolute best wouldn't have stood a chance against the All Blacks if they'd just done they usually do. No matter how good any other team gets, they could only ever win if the All Blacks hand the victory over to them on a nice silver platter.

Bollocks.

There's a difference between having high standards and just being a douche. Every time I see a Richie McCaw interview, or a Dan Carter one, they seem like the nicest guys. Humble guys, who are good at rugby, and know that if they stick to their game, they have a good chance of beating anyone. They aren't pricks about it. So why are the fans like that? Why do I always here things like:

"The Wallabies got lucky" instead of "The Wallabies played better in that test."

"Springboks have a 10 that can ONLY kick" instead of "Well, that's pretty much all Grant Fox did."

"All Blacks lost because they shot themselves in the foot" instead of "Good on France for capitilizing on their opponent's mistake."

Like, seriously, get over yourselves and give me a call when you guys win a world cup again okay.

Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. I do like the All Blacks but for a while I didn't even care about union for the reasons you list above. I kinda came back a while ago and I'm still not sure exactly why but give me a good football match over rugby any day. And a good cricket test over that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro for me the order is the exact opposite.

    Rugby > Football > Cricket

    Although, I have come to appreciate cricket a lot more recently than I have in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha thats awesome! Donna told me to read this.

    It's good to hear people say things that aren't always said about rugby in NZ. Die hard fans like me are well and truly brainwashed haha.
    I get annoyed at All Black fans being dicks but i've learnt how to ignore it somehow.

    ReplyDelete